Shoes are such a part of our psyche and our culture that many people have had much to say about them. No other accessory or garment creates as much dialogue as our humble (or not so humble) footwear.
Here are some thoughts from the most famous amongst us with regards to shoes…
• “I still have my feet on the ground – I just wear better shoes”. Oprah Winfrey on her climb from poverty to media domination.
• Nina Garcia, in her tome “The Style Strategy: A Less-is-More Approach to Staying Chic and Shopping Smart”, advises that “a great pair of shoes can make a twenty dollar outfit look like couture; a poorly constructed pair of shoes can make couture look like a cheap knockoff”.
• Are you a fan of toe cleavage? As with any cleavage, there are rules to get it right: according to Manolo Blahnik, “the secret of toe cleavage (a very important part of the sexuality of the shoe), you must show only the first two cracks.”
• According to Christian Louboutin, “a woman can carry a bag, but it is the shoe that carries the woman”. He also famously stated, “Shoes transform your body language and attitude. They lift you physically and emotionally”.
• Ginger Rogers famously backed up her dancing abilities in contrast to her famous partner, Fred Astaire: “Yes, but I do it backwards and in heels”. One can’t argue.
• Why do we never see Victoria Beckham in flats? She explains, “I can’t concentrate in flats!”
• Christian Dior explained his footwear philosophy thus: “You can never take too much care over the choice of your shoes. Too many women think they are unimportant, but the real proof of an elegant woman is what is on her feet”.
• Musical “Hairspray” has this fabulous footwear line: “The future’s got a million roads for you to choose, but you’ll walk a little taller in some high heel shoes”.
• “The stiletto is a feminine weapon that men just don’t have” – Christian Louboutin. Amen to that!
One last word, a thought for all of us to live by, from an anonymous source: “Keep your standards, head, and heels high”.
It’s time to go shoe shopping!